25 minutes 30 minutes - 1 hour 14 persons
Select the items you need and print a shopping list.
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place neck, heart, gizzard, water to cover, salt and pepper to taste in large saucepan. (Reserve the liver for later use or discard.)
- Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover.
- Simmer 1-½ hours, adding the liver, if desired, for the last 30 minutes of the cooking time.
- Strain stock; cover and refrigerate until ready to use in stuffing mixture.
- Remove meat from the neck; discard bones. Finely chop neck meat, heart, gizzard and liver, if using; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving bacon fat in pan. Drain bacon on paper toweling. Add butter to bacon fat.
- Sauté leek, celery root and parsnips in bacon-butter mixture until tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine cooked vegetables, breads, bulgur wheat, cooked giblets, parsley, herbs, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and cooked bacon in large bowl. Gradually pour in chicken broth, mixing until all ingredients are moist.
- Place mixture in well greased 4-quart baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 °.