How to prepare a turkey for roasting
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Remove original plastic wrapper.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the body and neck cavities.
- Drain any juices and pat dry with paper towels.
- Stuff just before roasting. (Stuffing ingredients may be prepared earlier.)
- If you un-tucked the legs for rinsing or stuffing, tuck them back in.
- Place turkey, breast up, on a flat rack in a shallow (3″ deep) roasting pan.
- Brush with oil to prevent the skin from drying.
- Insert your oven-safe meat thermometer.
- Follow roasting directions that come with every Butterball Turkey
- The turkey is done when the thigh temperature reaches a minimum 180°F (82°C) and the center of the stuffing reaches a minimum 165°F(74°C).
- Allow the turkey and stuffing to stand for 15 minutes before carving.
Don’t stuff your turkey when cooking on an outdoor grill or water smoker or when using fast cook methods that cause the meat to be cooked before the stuffing is safe to eat.