Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 90 minutes Serves: 4 - 6
Select the items you need and print a shopping list.
Mix 2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper. Add boneless turkey thigh and breast slices. Toss until fully coated in rub. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large, high-sided Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil to 325°F. Be sure to have a lid and box of baking soda handy for safety.
- In a medium bowl mix together buttermilk, eggs, and cayenne pepper sauce. In a separate bowl combine flour and 3 tsp. kosher salt.
- Bread turkey by first dredging it in flour then dip in buttermilk mixture, shaking off excess liquid, then dip it in flour mixture again. Transfer to a large baking sheet and repeat with remaining turkey pieces.
- When oil has reached 325°F place 3 - 4 pieces of battered turkey into oil, using metal tongs. Fry each side for 10 minutes. Flip when golden brown. The thicker the piece, the longer it will take to cook. Internal temperature should reach 165°F . Repeat in batches and place fried turkey on a baking sheet lined with a rack.
- While turkey is resting, combine butter, maple syrup and remaining spices in a small pot over medium heat. Once melted, generously brush over top of turkey. Serve with slices of white bread and sweet pickles, enjoy!