By: Denise Wild
I hate to say it, but summer is winding down, and it’s time to get back into those school and work routines. I, personally, will be trying to squeeze every minute out of the remaining sunny summer days with my family, while also prepping for fall. And if you’re like me, the last thing you need during this busy time of year is to be spending hours in the kitchen preparing meals. That’s why I turn to my go-to healthy meal ingredient: Butterball Turkey. With Butterball, I know I am not only feeding my family something healthy, but I am making my life easier since there are so many effortless recipes that I can whip up for any meal of the day. Here are two of my favourite back-to-school recipes, perfect for a packed lunch or a meal at home when you’re learning online.
Easy Pizza Bites
A favourite around my house for lunch or dinner is pizza. I mean, who doesn’t love pizza? But as a mom, I’m always looking for the healthiest options of my daughter’s favorite foods. That’s why this simple, delicious pizza recipe includes Butterball Turkey Pepperoni. Since Butterball Turkey Pepperoni contains 50% less fat than regular pepperoni and is made of 100% turkey raised without antibiotics, I know my family is only eating the best. Here’s how to make it:
- Butterball Turkey Pepperoni
- Premade crescent roll dough
- Pizza or tomato sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil leaves, chopped
- Unroll the pre-made crescent roll dough.
- Cover the dough in a thin layer of pizza sauce.
- Lay Butterball Turkey Pepperoni across the dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with a layer of cheese.
- Top the dough with basil leaves.
- Cut the dough into six even rectangles.
- Roll each rectangle and place them vertically in a muffin tin.
- Follow the instructions on the dough packaging for the proper oven temperature and cooking time.
- Let the pizza bites cool for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
Turkey Fruit Kebabs
This time of year, I also love recipes that can be used for last-minute picnics, day trips, or school lunches. Turkey fruit kebabs are fun, nutritious, and easy to transport. Plus, they’re easy enough for kids to help assemble, so everyone can get involved in the kitchen. And guess what? They’re the perfect upgrade for leftovers! When you cook a Butterball Boneless White & Dark Turkey Roast for dinner, you may have some delicious leftovers for lunch the next day or quick weeknight dinners. So, this leftover alternative is a perfect, unexpected transformation! Butterball makes their roasts so easy to prepare, and they always come out juicy, tender, and delicious—it doesn’t get better than that in my books! Here’s how to make it:
- Butterball Boneless White & Dark Turkey, leftovers cooked and cubed
- Butterball Turkey Breast, rolled and sliced
- Green grapes
- Red grapes
- Sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- Slide each ingredient above onto barbeque skewers in a pattern that alternates colours and flavours. Enjoy!