Savoury Turkey Brine
1. The night before roasting, remove giblets and turkey neck; rinse turkey inside and out.
2. Mix water with remaining ingredients until all the salt is dissolved.
3. Place turkey in brining bag or container, breast side down. Add brine recipe. Seal and/or cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
4. Remove turkey from the brine, rinse well. Follow package directions for roasting turkey.
Note: Butterball turkeys are pre-brined and should not be brined again.
Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. For Streusel, combine flour, 6 tbsp. of the light brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Gradually stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
3. For Filling, roll pie crust on lightly floured surface to an 11-inch diameter circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold excess crust at edge under. Press dough together on rim to form a thick crust edge. Form a decorative edge using fingers, fork or other utensil.
4. Combine apples, cranberry sauce, remaining ¾ cup light brown sugar and cornstarch until well blended. Spoon apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with Streusel.
5. Bake about 1 hour, or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Holiday Mashed Potatoes
1. Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return to saucepan.
2. Add milk, cream cheese spread and butter to potatoes mash with hand masher or electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in garlic salt and pepper. Spoon into 13×9-inch casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
3. Remove potatoes from refrigerator 3-1/4 hours before serving time. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker. Cover and heat on low setting 3 hours stirring twice. Potatoes can be held an additional 30 minutes.
4. Note: Substitute 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, for cream cheese spread.