Turkey Stew in a Bread Bowl
Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
Press 1 cup (250mL) each of moist stuffing onto the bottom and sides of 2 lightly greased oven proof soup bowls (stoneware). Brush the surface of each with 1 tablespoon (15ml) of melted butter or margarine. Bake for 20 minutes or until the surface has begun to form a golden crust. Remove from oven. Allow the dish to cool for at least 5 minutes.
In a pot, combine broth/gravy, potatoes, carrots and celery. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add a small amount of water to thin gravy if necessary. Add the cubed turkey and cook covered for an additional 5 minutes or until heated through. Salt and Pepper to taste.
If broth has been used and a thicker stew is desired, melt 2 tablespoons (30mL) of butter or margarine in a small sauce pan over med heat; add 1 tablespoon of flour, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add some of the hot stew broth to the flour mixture then stir it all back into the stew, increasing the heat and stirring gently until the broth thickens to a gravy consistency.
Pour stew into prepared bread bowls.
Use caution and protect table surface as the bowls will be HOT.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 450?F (230?C)
2. Measure out enough parchment paper to allow for overhang of a 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan. Scrunch the parchment paper under running water till wet. Squeeze out excess water and line pan. Add sweet potatoes and cranberries. Make sure the cranberries are evenly distributed.
3. Pour the orange juice over top and then drizzle with maple syrup. Make sure the maple syrup is evenly distributed.
4. Roast for 40 - 45 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
5. Remove from pan and serve or refrigerate until next day**.
**To reheat the sweet potatoes after the turkey comes out of the oven and is taking Turkey Timeout*, increase oven temperature to 450?F (230?C). Reline the 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan with wet parchment paper (see above) and add the cooked sweet potatoes. Place in oven and reheat till hot (about 20 minutes). Each 1/2 cup (125 mL) serving contains:
75 Calories, 0 g Total fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 33 mg Sodium, 18 g CHO, 2.5 g Fiber, 1 g Protein
Makes 8 - 1/2 cup (125 mL) servings
*Turkey Timeout – the time a cooked turkey needs to sit after being removed from the oven to guarantee perfection in flavour, texture and carving.
Turkey burgers with Buffalo Sauce
1. Preheat grill to medium direct heat.
2. Butter cut surfaces of buns. Toast, cut side down, on grill until light golden brown; set aside.
3. Grill turkey burgers according to package directions.
4. Divide shredded lettuce evenly over bottom of hamburger buns. Top each with tomato, turkey burger, Buffalo sauce and Blue cheese. Cover with top of bun and serve.