Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. For Streusel, combine flour, 6 tbsp. of the light brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Gradually stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
3. For Filling, roll pie crust on lightly floured surface to an 11-inch diameter circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold excess crust at edge under. Press dough together on rim to form a thick crust edge. Form a decorative edge using fingers, fork or other utensil.
4. Combine apples, cranberry sauce, remaining ¾ cup light brown sugar and cornstarch until well blended. Spoon apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle with Streusel.
5. Bake about 1 hour, or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Roasted Butternut Squash
1. Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).
2. Measure out enough parchment paper to allow for overhang of a 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan. Scrunch the parchment paper under running water till wet. Squeeze out excess water and line pan.
3. Peel squash. Scrape out membrane and seeds. Cut into 1/2 –inch (1 cm) cubes.
4. Place in a medium bowl. Pour oil over top and toss to coat.
5. Pour into prepared baking pan and sprinkle with pepper.
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
7. Remove from pan and serve or refrigerate until next day**.
Make this 1-2 days ahead: Do steps 1 – 4. Step 5 - Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until just soft. Remove, cool, and then carefully remove semi-cooked squash to a clean container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
**To reheat the squash after the turkey comes out of the oven and is taking Turkey Timeout*, increase oven temperature to 450F (230 C). Reline the 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan with wet parchment paper (see above) and add the cooked squash. Place in oven and reheat till hot (about 20 minutes).
Makes 8 – 1/2 cup (125 mL) servings
*Turkey Timeout – the time a cooked turkey needs to sit after being removed from the oven to guarantee perfection in flavour, texture and carving.
Nachos with a Twist
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place half of the tortilla chips on cookie sheet. Top with half of the cheese, dressing, onions and bacon. Repeat layers.
3. Bake 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Using a large spatula, carefully slide nachos onto large serving platter to serve.