Cajun Rub for Thanksgiving Turkey
1. Mix spices with Canola oil.
2. Rub into the turkey skin.
3. Roast turkey according to Butterball guidelines.
Optional Stuffing: Sauté 1 chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped celery and 1 chopped green pepper in 3 tbs. Canola oil. Add 1½ cups cubed bread. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. each ground oregano, paprika, thyme and pepper.
Roasted Butternut Squash
1. Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).
2. Measure out enough parchment paper to allow for overhang of a 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan. Scrunch the parchment paper under running water till wet. Squeeze out excess water and line pan.
3. Peel squash. Scrape out membrane and seeds. Cut into 1/2 –inch (1 cm) cubes.
4. Place in a medium bowl. Pour oil over top and toss to coat.
5. Pour into prepared baking pan and sprinkle with pepper.
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
7. Remove from pan and serve or refrigerate until next day**.
Make this 1-2 days ahead: Do steps 1 – 4. Step 5 - Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until just soft. Remove, cool, and then carefully remove semi-cooked squash to a clean container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
**To reheat the squash after the turkey comes out of the oven and is taking Turkey Timeout*, increase oven temperature to 450F (230 C). Reline the 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan with wet parchment paper (see above) and add the cooked squash. Place in oven and reheat till hot (about 20 minutes).
Makes 8 – 1/2 cup (125 mL) servings
*Turkey Timeout – the time a cooked turkey needs to sit after being removed from the oven to guarantee perfection in flavour, texture and carving.
Colourful Pasta Salad
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Place in large bowl.
2.Add turkey, cheese, zucchini, bell peppers, olives and basil; mix lightly. Add 1/2 cup of the dressing; toss to coat. Cover. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup dressing just before serving.