Roasted Butternut Squash
1. Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C).
2. Measure out enough parchment paper to allow for overhang of a 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan. Scrunch the parchment paper under running water till wet. Squeeze out excess water and line pan.
3. Peel squash. Scrape out membrane and seeds. Cut into 1/2 –inch (1 cm) cubes.
4. Place in a medium bowl. Pour oil over top and toss to coat.
5. Pour into prepared baking pan and sprinkle with pepper.
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
7. Remove from pan and serve or refrigerate until next day**.
Make this 1-2 days ahead: Do steps 1 – 4. Step 5 - Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until just soft. Remove, cool, and then carefully remove semi-cooked squash to a clean container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
**To reheat the squash after the turkey comes out of the oven and is taking Turkey Timeout*, increase oven temperature to 450F (230 C). Reline the 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan with wet parchment paper (see above) and add the cooked squash. Place in oven and reheat till hot (about 20 minutes).
Makes 8 – 1/2 cup (125 mL) servings
*Turkey Timeout – the time a cooked turkey needs to sit after being removed from the oven to guarantee perfection in flavour, texture and carving.
Sautéed Green Beans with Crunchy Almonds
1. Toast almonds in heavy skillet on medium heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned. Remove from heat and cool completely before using.
2. Meanwhile, place green beans in large saucepan with water to cover. Heat on medium-high heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or to desired doneness. Drain beans. Immerse in ice water 5 minutes to stop further cooking. Drain and pat dry. Place beans in re-sealable plastic bag. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until thoroughly chilled.
3. Heat butter and oil in large skillet on medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in green beans. Cook and stir 4 to 6 minutes or until beans are light golden brown. Stir in almonds and parsley. Heat through and serve.
Pumpkin Black Bean Turkey Chili
1. Heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, bell
peppers, jalapeno pepper and garlic. Cook and stir 8 minutes, or until onion is tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin and
oregano. Cook and stir 1 minute.
2. Add broth, beans, turkey, pumpkin, tomatoes with their liquid, sherry, salt and black pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.