Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 450?F (230?C)
2. Measure out enough parchment paper to allow for overhang of a 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan. Scrunch the parchment paper under running water till wet. Squeeze out excess water and line pan. Add sweet potatoes and cranberries. Make sure the cranberries are evenly distributed.
3. Pour the orange juice over top and then drizzle with maple syrup. Make sure the maple syrup is evenly distributed.
4. Roast for 40 - 45 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
5. Remove from pan and serve or refrigerate until next day**.
**To reheat the sweet potatoes after the turkey comes out of the oven and is taking Turkey Timeout*, increase oven temperature to 450?F (230?C). Reline the 9x13-inch (3.5 L) metal pan with wet parchment paper (see above) and add the cooked sweet potatoes. Place in oven and reheat till hot (about 20 minutes). Each 1/2 cup (125 mL) serving contains:
75 Calories, 0 g Total fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 33 mg Sodium, 18 g CHO, 2.5 g Fiber, 1 g Protein
Makes 8 - 1/2 cup (125 mL) servings
*Turkey Timeout – the time a cooked turkey needs to sit after being removed from the oven to guarantee perfection in flavour, texture and carving.
Cajun Rub for Thanksgiving Turkey
1. Mix spices with Canola oil.
2. Rub into the turkey skin.
3. Roast turkey according to Butterball guidelines.
Optional Stuffing: Sauté 1 chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped celery and 1 chopped green pepper in 3 tbs. Canola oil. Add 1½ cups cubed bread. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. each ground oregano, paprika, thyme and pepper.
Holiday Mashed Potatoes
1. Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return to saucepan.
2. Add milk, cream cheese spread and butter to potatoes mash with hand masher or electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in garlic salt and pepper. Spoon into 13×9-inch casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
3. Remove potatoes from refrigerator 3-1/4 hours before serving time. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker. Cover and heat on low setting 3 hours stirring twice. Potatoes can be held an additional 30 minutes.
4. Note: Substitute 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, for cream cheese spread.