Sautéed Green Beans with Crunchy Almonds
1. Toast almonds in heavy skillet on medium heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned. Remove from heat and cool completely before using.
2. Meanwhile, place green beans in large saucepan with water to cover. Heat on medium-high heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or to desired doneness. Drain beans. Immerse in ice water 5 minutes to stop further cooking. Drain and pat dry. Place beans in re-sealable plastic bag. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until thoroughly chilled.
3. Heat butter and oil in large skillet on medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in green beans. Cook and stir 4 to 6 minutes or until beans are light golden brown. Stir in almonds and parsley. Heat through and serve.
Quickie Sweet Potatoes
1. Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them with a fork.
2. Microwave on high for approx. 10-12 minutes, depending on their size.
3. Once they are soft, let them rest in a bowl for 5 minutes.
4. This little sweet potato rest time makes it easy to skin them, which just happens to be the next step. Skin sweet potatoes.
5. Mash the sweet potatoes together with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of the orange juice concentrate.
6. For a more intense orange flavour, add one more tablespoon (15 mL) of concentrate.
7. Each serving contains – 94 Calories, 1.5 g protein, 0.2 g fat, 1.4 g fibre, 10 mg sodium,
and 22 g carbohydrate.